Friday, August 10, 2012

Braving the blackberry bush

Yesterday I picked 2 kilos of blackberries 'in the wild'. Armed with red dotted wellies, a long sleeve shirt, gardening gloves and glamourous sunglasses I wrestled my way through the blackberry bushes to find my treasure. Most of the fruit was very ripe or close to being overripe, so I put it all in a big pot, added about a kilo of sugar and let it come to a boil slowly for about an hour. I then ladled the juice from the top and strained it straight into a sealable bottle with the help of a small sieve and funnel. The fruit that was left I put in jars as jam. All up, the whole exercise took about half a day, but I was outside in the sunshine having some delicious quality "me"-time and eating fresh fruit straight from the blackberry bush, then I filled the house with sweet cooking smells from the blackberries that were simmering on the stove and the result was three jars of jam and a bottle of syrup to enjoy in weeks to come! In my view, it was totally worth it and great fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment